Professional Preparation Programme for Engineering Students 2017-18 (Second Semester)
The Professional Preparation Programme (PPP) is jointly offered by the Faculty of Engineering and the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS). The programme was well received by students, with over 1000 engineering students participated so far. The Faculty and CEDARS will join hands again to offer the Professional Preparation Programme to engineering students in the second year of studies or above for the second semester, 2017-18.
PPP is an intensive result-based career programme. The main objectives of the PPP are to
- prepare students for entering the job market
- enhance the employability of Engineering students
- improve students’ overall competitiveness in the graduate job market
- develop more advanced career planning and interview skills to improve students’ chances of success
The programme will cover 6 topics with a total of 15.75 learning hours:
1. Graduate Employment Update & Career Planning
2. CV & Cover Letter Writing
3. Interview Skills
4. CV Clinic & Mock Interview
5. Group Discussion
6. MBTI: Personality and Career
PPP provides ample opportunities for students to sharpen their job-seeking skills and widen their horizons to be better prepared in their pursuit of future career:
- For final year students, they will be able to understand employer’s expectation of candidates in Assessment Centre, and be equipped with communication skills for their first job after graduation.
- For second and third year students, the career preparation sessions will certainly help you to have a good insight in the engineering profession, and the skills training will certainly equip you with the necessary skills in the pursuit of industrial internship next summer.
Programme Outline: ppp-outline.pdf
Programme Schedule: ppp-schedule.pdf
Admission: on first-come first-served basis
The first 3 modules will have a waiting list of 30 places. If a module is full, the first 30 students who enrol in the module after it has been filled will be put on the waiting list. Students on the waiting list will be contacted by CEDARS to attend module(s) they have enrolled in if there is/are available place(s) in due course. Priority will be given based on the earliest time of registration.
Students are required to attend the enrolled module(s)/session(s). They should therefore check their class schedule before the enrollment. Participants of the programme will be issued a letter of certification of attendance.
Application is now open to all BEng undergraduates in their second year of studies or above. Please enrol the PPP modules via the following links:
1. Graduate Employment Update & Career Planning: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=54418
2. CV & Cover Letter Writing: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=54419
3. Interview Skills: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=54420
4. CV Clinic & Mock Interview (choose one from 3 time slots): https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=54422
5. Group Discussion: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=54421
6. MBTI: Personality and Career (choose one from 4 time slots): https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=54426
Students do not need to enrol in all the six modules. They could select the module(s) that best fit their interest/need, though CEDARS would recommend students who enrol for CV & Cover Letter Writing to register for CV Clinic & Mock Interview also, vice versa.
The deadline of application
February 05, 2018 at 23:59 (HKT)
A reminder email will be sent to students before each workshop by CEDARS. The exact date and venue of each workshop will be provided in the reminder email.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Faculty of Engineering at email@example.com / 3917 2803; or contact CEDARS at firstname.lastname@example.org / 3917 2317.
Selected qualitative feedback of Professional Preparation Programme from Engineering students
- The workshops provide comprehensive materials with detailed explanation.
- The feedback by the instructors is very constructive and helpful.
- The PPP enables us to understand the market trend and the job opportunities.
- We learned how to deal with difficulties and turn it into an opportunity to show our ability and strengths.
- The PPP may teach us how to prepare for assessment centers of big companies.
- Overall, the PPP workshop is satisfactory. The facilitators are really qualified and do well in leading us in the workshop. And the workshops have given us an all-around training of our capabilities in all aspects for job hunting and characteristics formation.