The basic qualification necessary for admission to research postgraduate studies is a good honours degree from this University or an equivalent qualification from a comparable institution. A summary of basic admission requirements is listed as follows:
|Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
|Bachelor's degree with Second Class Honours Division I or above; or
Bachelor's degree with Second Class Honours Division II and a taught Master's degree
|4-year Doctor of Philosophy (4-year PhD)
|Bachelor’s degree with First Class Honours preferably with research experience; or
Bachelor’s degree with Second Class Honours Division I and a taught Master’s degree
|3-year Doctor of Philosophy (3-year PhD)
|Bachelor’s degree with Second Class Honours Division I or above and a research Master’s degree (MPhil)
Candidates will be selected based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Applicant's academic qualifications
- Quality of research proposal
- Research experience/track record/publications
- Comments made by referees
In addition, certain degree courses have more specific requirements. Qualifying examinations to test the applicants’ abilities to follow the prescribed courses and/or interviews may be conducted. Applicants with qualifications other than an honours degree are considered on their individual merits.
Applicants who wish to be admitted to higher degrees on the basis of a qualification from a university or a comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English are required to obtain the following:
- an overall score of 85 or above (for students registered on or after September 1, 2023) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- a minimum overall band of 6.5 with no subtest lower than 6 (for students registered on or after September 1, 2023) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic module);
- grade C or above in the Overseas General Certificate of Education (GCE); or
- grade C or above in the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE); or
- grade C or above in the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language (CPE);
unless in exceptional circumstances when they are exempted from this requirement.
Since places for research postgraduate studies are limited, it may not be possible to offer admission to all qualified applicants. For more information, please read FAQ on Admission.