Student Resources & Support

Student Resources & Support

A Glimpse of Student Life @HKU

A Glimpse of Student Life @HKU for Prospective Students 2019-20

Support for Non-local Students

  1. Notes for Non-local Students  (
  2. HKU China Affairs Office  (
  3. Non-local Student Welcome Guide
  4. Visa Application

    Visa Requirement

    All non-local students need to obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong. Without a valid visa, they cannot register for their study in the University. 

    The Hong Kong Immigration Department normally issues student visas only to applicants enrolling in a FULL-TIME course in the University.

    All non-local students who are permitted to stay for a period of more than 180 days are required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card after their arrival at the Registration of Persons Office of the Immigration Department. For details, please refer to the website of the Hong Kong Immigration Department at

    Visa Application Procedures

    a) Mainland Students

    The application procedures for a student visa are available on the HKU China Affairs Office (CAO) website at

    For enquiries, please contact HKU China Affairs Office by email

    b) Non-local Students other than Mainland Students

    Visa application procedures can be found on CEDARS website at
    Applicants should complete an official student visa application form ID 995A which is obtainable from your local Chinese Consulate or be downloaded from

    Visa Extension

    Non-local students studying in HKU for more than one year will have to renew their student visa annually. Currently, for undergraduates and taught postgraduates from the Mainland, the contact office at the University is the China Affairs Office. For other students, please contact CEDARS for visa extension. 

    Useful Tips on Visa Matters

    Please visit

  5. Finances
    1. Budget
    2. Financial Matters
  6. Health and Wellness

  7. Accommodation
    The university has many halls of residence, but they are mainly for undergraduates. For taught postgraduates, you are strongly advised to find your own accommodation outside the University via the service provided by the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS). Application is opened around June-July every year, which can be done by post. If you are given an offer, you must immediately accept it, otherwise it will be given to someone else on the waiting list. Information on rooms and flats available for renting in the vicinity of the University is available on the CEDARS website at Students who wish to look for rooms and flats in the University Vicinity are invited to enquire at CEDARS.

Adverse Weather Arrangements

Please visit

Career Development

Please visit the website of the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) for the latest career news and announcements.

Useful Forms