Professional Preparation Programme for Engineering Students 2017-18 (First Semester)
The Professional Preparation Programme (PPP) is jointly offered by the Faculty of Engineering and the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS). The programme was well received by students, with over 900 engineering students participated so far. The Faculty and CEDARS will join hands again to offer the Professional Preparation Programme to engineering students in the second year of studies or above for the first semester, 2017-18.
PPP is an intensive result-based career programme. The main objectives of the PPP are
- to prepare and enhance the employability of Engineering students;
- to improve students’ overall competitiveness in graduate employment and
- to develop more advanced interview skills to improve the chances of success in assessment centres.
The programme will cover 6 topics with a total of 15.5 learning hours:
1. Graduate Employment Update & Career Planning
2. CV & Cover Letter Writing
3. Interview Skills
4. CV Clinic & Mock Interview
5. Group Discussion
6. MBTI: Personality and Career
PPP provides ample opportunities for students to sharpen their job-seeking skills and widen their horizons to be better prepared in their pursuit of future career. For final year students, they will be able to understand employer’s expectation of candidates in Assessment Centre, and be equipped with communication skills for their first job after graduation. For second and third year students, the career preparation sessions will certainly help you to have a good insight in the engineering profession, and the skills training will certainly equip you with the necessary skills in the pursuit of industrial internship next summer.
Programme Outline: ppp-outline.pdf
Programme Schedule: ppp-schedule.pdf
Quota for each module (on first-come first-served basis):
Workshop: please refer to the enrolment page of respective workshops
Each module will have a waiting list of places. If a module is full, students who enrol in the module after it has been filled will be put on the waiting list. Students on the waiting list will be contacted by CEDARS to attend module(s) they have enrolled in if there is/are available place(s) in due course. Priority will be given based on the earliest time of registration.
Students are required to attend the enrolled module(s)/session(s). They should therefore check their class schedule before the enrollment. Participants of the programme will be issued a letter of certification of attendance.
Application is now open to all BEng undergraduates in their second year of studies or above. Please enrol the PPP modules via the following links:
1. Graduate Employment Update & Career Planning: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=52270
2. CV & Cover Letter Writing: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=52273
3. Interview Skills: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=52275
4. CV Clinic & Mock Interview (choose one from 2 time slots): https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=52290
5. Group Discussion: https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=52277
6. MBTI: Personality and Career (choose one from 4 time slots): https://hkuems1.hku.hk/hkuems/ec_hdetail.aspx?UEID=52289
Students do not need to enrol in all the six modules. They could select the module(s) that best fit their interest/need, though CEDARS would recommend students who enrol for CV & Cover Letter Writing to register for CV Clinic & Mock Interview also, vice versa.
The deadline of application
September 18, 2017 at 23:59 (HKT)
A reminder email will be sent to students before each workshop by CEDARS. The exact date and venue of each workshop will be provided in the reminder email.
Selected qualitative feedback of Professional Preparation Programme from Engineering students
- The workshops provide comprehensive materials with detailed explanation.
- The feedback by the instructors is very constructive and helpful.
- The PPP enables us to understand the market trend and the job opportunities.
- We learned how to deal with difficulties and turn it into an opportunity to show our ability and strengths
- The PPP may teach us how to prepare for assessment centers of big companies.
- Overall, the PPP workshop is satisfactory. The facilitators are really qualified and do well in leading us in the workshop. And the workshops have given us an all-around training of our capabilities in all aspects for job hunting and characteristics formation.