- Programme Director
- Lam Woo Professor in Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Phone : (852) 2859 7096
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Biomedical imaging
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) engineering and applications in biomedical research
- Medical instrumentation
- Image processing
Prof. Ed X. Wu joined the University of Hong Kong Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 2003. Before joining HKU, Prof. Wu was an Associate Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering at Columbia University in New York where he led the NMR Microimaging Laboratory and served as a core member of Columbia Integrated Imaging Center. From 1990 to 1998, Prof. Wu was the lead technical member in development of the world first 3D positron emission tomography (PET) system and an ultrahigh field magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) system at Columbia University. At present, Prof. Wu is the founding Director of the interdisciplinary Laboratory of Biomedical Imaging and Signal Processing and Research Director of 3T MRI Unit at HKU. His current research includes biomedical imaging and medical instrumentation, particularly the development of advanced high-field MRI methodologies and their applications for investigation of humans and disease models, including in vivo brain and heart structures and functions related to diseases, injuries, pharmacological intervention and genetic modification. Prof. Wu is the recipient of numerous extramural research grants awarded by US National Institutes of Health (NIH), US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), US Department of Interior and Hong Kong Research Grant Council.
Prof. Wu presently serves as the Asia-Pacific Editor of NMR in Biomedicine which is published by Wiley and dedicated to magnetic resonance and spectroscopic imaging. He is a member of the IEEE-EMBS Technical Committee on Medical Imaging and Image Processing, and Associate Editor of IEEE-EMBS Conference Editorial Board. Prof. Wu is a fellow of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) (2012/2013), American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), UK Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), and Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). He is the recipient of 2009-2010 Outstanding Researcher Award from HKU and 2012 Croucher Senior Research Fellowship from Croucher Foundation.
Prof. Wu is the Program Director of Medical Engineering Program, a Bachelor of Engineering program jointly offered by HKU Faculty of Engineering and Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine. He is an Honorary Professor at Departments of Anatomy, Medicine and Diagnostic Radiology at Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine.
- MM Cheung, C Lau, IY Zhou, KC Chan, JW Zhang, SJ Fan, EX Wu: “High fidelity tonotopic mapping using swept source functional magnetic resonance imaging,” Neuroimage 61:978-986, 2012.
- MM Cheung, C Lau, IY Zhou, KC Chan, JS Cheng, JW Zhang, LC Ho, EX Wu: “BOLD fMRI investigation of the rat auditory pathway and tonotopic organization,”Neuroimage 60:1205-11, 2012.
- L Xiao, EX Wu: “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance spectroscopy: a novel approach to investigate intramyocellular lipids,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 66:937-44, 2011.
- KC Chan, KK Xing, MM Cheung, IY Zhou, EX Wu: "Functional MRI of postnatal visual development in normal and hypoxic-ischemic injured superior colliculus," Neuroimage 49:2013-2020, 2010.
- J Yang, J Liu, G Niu, KC Chan, R Wang, Y Liu, EX Wu:"In vivo MRI of endogenous stem/progenitor cell migration from subventricular zone in normal and injured developing brains," Neuroimage 48:319-328, 2009.
- ES Hui, MM Cheung, L Qi, E.X. Wu: "Toward better MR characterization of neural tissues using directional diffusion kurtosis analysis," Neuroimage 42:122-134, 2008.
- J Yang, E.X. Wu "Manganese-enhanced MRI detection of gray matter lesion in late phase of mild neonatal hypoxic-ischemic injury," Neuroimage 39:669-679, 2008.
- S Mi, B Hu, K Hahm, Y Luo, ES Hui, Q Yuan, WM Wong, Li Wang, H Su, TH Chu, KF So, B Pepinsky, Z Shao, V Jung, E.X. Wu, WT Wu: "LINGO-1 antagonist promotes spinal cord demyelination and axonal integrity in MOG-induced experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis," Nature Medicine 13:1228-1233, 2007.
- E.X. Wu, Y Wu, JM Nicholls, J Wang, S Liao, S Zhu, CP Lau, HF Tse: "MR diffusion tensor imaging study of postinfarct myocardium structural remodeling in porcine model," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 58:687-695, 2007.
- E.X. Wu, H Tang, JH Jensen: "Applications of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles in animal studies - Review," NMR in Biomedicine 17:478-483, 2004.
- KK Wong, I Huang, YR Kim, H Tang, ES Yang, KK Kwong, E.X. Wu: "In vivo studies of microbubbles as a MRI susceptibility contrast agent," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 52:445-452, 2004.
- E.X. Wu, KK Wong, M Andrassy, H Tang: "High resolution in vivo CBV mapping in C57BL6/J mice using MRI," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 49:765-70, 2003.
- SA Small, EX Wu, D Bartsch, GM Perera, CO Lacefield, R DeLaPaz, R Mayeux, Y Stern, ER Kandel: "Imaging function of hippocampal subregions in humans and in genetically modified mice using a high resolution MRI method," Neuron 28:653-64, 2000.
- E.X. Wu, G Johnson, SK Hilal and ZH Cho: "A new spatial localization technique using pulsed quadratic gradient," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 33:242-245, 1994.
- E.X. Wu, RB Buxton: "Effect of diffusion on the steady-state magnetization with pulsed field gradients," Journal of Magnetic Resonance 90:243-253, 1990.