Professional Recognition

The academic qualifications required for recognition by professional institutions vary from one to another. For example, the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) primarily accredits Bachelor's degrees in Hong Kong while some UK institutions require the first degree of Master of Engineering for admission. HKIE has no policy for accreditation of MSc degrees in Hong Kong. If an MSc student wishes to apply for admission to professional institutions such as the HKIE upon graduation but his / her first degree is not recognized by the professional institution, he / she is strongly advised to take the project option in the MSc study.